Fireman Sam – Sam Il Pompiere
Mattel approached our Italian partner, Kulta, to help them devise a safety campaign using Fireman Sam. The campaign uses Sam in both an educational and entertaining way to help raise awareness of the risks children face every day, such as crossing the road, or in-home fire hazards.
With such a young target audience, using Fireman Sam meant we could engage them in a relevant and appropriate way.
What we did
The project objectives were to help children to –
- Recognise the dangers in different life situations
- Identify behaviours to avoid these risks or to deal with them safely
- Predict and foresee dangerous situations
- Internalise safe behaviours to protect oneself, others and the environment.
To deliver this, we created an array of educational tools including:
- Digital content such as puzzles, memory games, drag and drop apps, all with different levels of difficulty for children aged 3-5 and 6-7 years
- Teacher guides for activities in the classroom
- Parent guides for activities at home
- “Top ten” on the rules of prevention.
To make sure we fully understood the landscape and which situations would be most relevant to the audience we worked with Doxa Kids to survey Italian families to determine which activities they considered the riskiest. This gave us our key themes of the home environment, educational outings, outdoor games and beach holidays.
We successfully rolled out a nationwide educational initiative that helped keep Italian kids safe. Children were taught the fundamental skills needed to identify and avoid risky situations. They also learnt about responsibility, respect for rules and team spirit.
Both parents and teachers alike were delighted with the activities created and continue to use them today.